I joined Newgen in April 2001 as a trainee copy editor.
- My designation is is Managing Editor - now I train copy editors!
- The day of my interview was memorable. During my copyediting test, the police towed away my car. I spent the whole day running between the Thiruvanmiyur office and the Adyar Police Station, while attempting tests, attending interviews, and paying fines. I remember thinking at that time, “Do I need this job that badly?” After five and a half years, I took a break.
- I rejoined Newgen in 2008 as a consultant copyediting trainer. I’ve been here since then. Newgen is my home away from home.
- I’ve moved around a lot. I’ve worked on several publisher accounts. Until a few years ago I was managing copyediting for client teams. Now as Managing Editor, I work out of the Neelangarai office, as a troubleshooter for teams that have copyediting issues.
I’m shy and retiring by nature, often the loner in a crowd, and I’m usually the last one to say the first word in a conversation.
- Because of this, I tend to miss out on interesting conversations or meeting new people.
- So, I made this rule for myself. That in every meeting I attend I will walk up to a complete stranger and introduce myself.
- I usually lead with my name and what I do and ask for theirs. Surprisingly, people are eager and happy to talk to people they don’t know.
What makes me smile are my nieces!
- They are 4 and 6, adorable and definitely not from this world
- When I see people walking on the street holding hands: couples, children, elderly people, just about anybody!
- Every time I hear a favorite song on the radio.
On my bucket list ...
- Mostly travel. I want to see a lot of places: Machu Picchu, the Northern Lights, Dark Hedges, Lake Baikal, Tasmanian Devil, Glenfinnan Viaduct, The Twelve Apostles, African Safari, Grand Canyon.
- Be an extra on a show, this is probably a side effect of watching too many shows.
- Meet a celebrity or be friends with someone famous.
- Start a small business.
- Be on TED Talk.
- Learn dancing and watercolor painting.